A First Time for Everything

Yesterday, I ran in my first 5K. Ran the whole way. Set a new personal best for distance (3.15 miles) and pace (14:41, per official race results). And this, just two weeks after I started running.

Okay. Running would barely describe what I do; it's more of a light jog, really. Okay. More of a quick, walking, shuffle. Whatever. For the sake of simplicity, I will call it running.

I should tell you, I really surprised myself yesterday. I never would have believed that I could actually sustain a run for a block, much less just over 3 miles. And that I would like it. No, love it. I had a blast yesterday. It felt great to set that goal, work for it, and actually complete it. And at a better pace than my training runs. 

I was recalling a conversation I recently had with a friend. I was telling her that I didn't think I'd ever be able to run for fear of damaging my knees, as I was carrying considerably more weight on my body than I should. 

I've shed some of the weight. Not as much as I'd like, but that is still a work in progress.
And, I can run. I proved it yesterday. And my knees are okay. Better than okay, really. I can feel the change in my body. It's getting healthier, stronger.

I never would have dreamed it possible. But it is.
Guess there really is a first time for everything.

Here's to good health!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top my dyalog. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.