Now I'm Running

I should probably tell you that I really don't like working out. Never have and never dreamed I would. But lately, something's come over me. I can't explain it. I can only tell you that I find myself pushing my body to new limits, setting crazy goals and actually meeting them!

It started with cycling. I set a goal for riding 47 miles and accomplished it. It wasn't a race, but rather, for me, more about just finishing. And I'm not finished, either. I have set a goal to ride a century ride in 2010. That's 100 miles. All at once, in one ride. Crazy, right?

Crazier still is that now I've taken up running. I've always wanted to be a runner, you know, one of those lithe, graceful folk that look like they float over the road. But every time I tried to run my knees would scream in agony. Not surprising considering the ridiculous amount of weight I was carrying. Yet here I am, 25 pounds lighter and this past Saturday, I woke up and decided it was time to start running.

I know you have to start slow when you run, or you could seriously injure yourself. So I only ran a quarter of a mile, with my sweet boxer Bristol alongside of me. Crazy dog loved it. Crazy girl loved it more.

Sunday, I pushed myself a bit harder and ran a full mile. Ran the whole way, too. Not too bad. Most surprising was the fact that when I was done, I felt great and nothing hurt.

Today, my husband and our goofy dog, Bristol, joined me. Today, I ran 1.32 miles in 23 minutes. Okay, not a record breaking time or anything, I'll give you that. But I RAN the whole way.

I have another goal. I'm running a 5K next week. Yes, next week. I have 10 days to train. 5K. That's 3.12 miles. three times what I'm running now. I'm not ambitious. Nope, not me.

What can I say? I love running. And cycling. Soon I'll add swimming. And maybe, just maybe, I'll surprise myself yet again.

Here's to good health!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top my dyalog. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.