Lo Carb and Starbucks

I'm the first to admit; I'm a coffee snob. Or fool, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I am a fan of Starbucks. I love that I can smell a Starbucks shop at least a block away, I love the random but awesome art hanging in most of their coffee shops, and I love their frothy, foamy, java laced beverages. Did I say love? I mean LOVE.

Since I began the lo-carb lifestyle, however, Starbucks is not a place I frequent. Most of the drinks I like best contain milk, albeit usually the soy variety, but milk nonetheless, which, in case you don't know, is chock full of carbs. And we won't even talk about the lovely orange-cranberry scones. {drool}
Yes. Definitely best I avoid the little green coffe shop found on nearly every street corner in the US, and in many chain retailers too (think Target and Barnes and Noble!)

Then I remembered something. Something useful. Something lovely. Something so wonderful that I had a "SHAZAM" kind of moment. You know the one I'm talking about. The one where the planets align just so, the fireworks are going off in your head, and all things are illuminated. Yes, that one.

My revelation? Simple, really. Heavy whipping cream is very low carb, considerably lower than regular milk or even soy milk. You're wondering what this has to do with Starbucks, aren't you? Well let me tell you. This means you can enjoy many of your blended coffee delights without all the carbs! Simply asking them to use heavy whipping cream as the milk. I myself like the Chai Tea Latte with heavy whipping cream as the milk - it's positively divine!

That being said, it's only fair I warn you. If you are watching your fat intake, along with your carbs, steer clear of this milk substitution. Seriously. Run away. FAST.
See, while heavy whipping cream is low on carbs, it's fat content is actually quite high. Not surprising when you consider that this is the stuff used to make whipped cream.

I guess the best thing to do is remember that those delectable blended beverages are treats, to be enjoyed infrequently and with much delight. Perhaps a small reward on a rainy night.

It sure is my excuse for having one tonight.

Here's to good health!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top my dyalog. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.