Mobile Blogging: The Truth Hurts

Yesterday, my husband said something to me that cut to the quick. He
didn't say it to be hurtful or mean, and it was prompted mostly from
his exhaustion (he's been working a lot lately), but I know he was
speaking the truth.

My initial reaction was to go on the defensive, to start making
excuses in an effort to justify or rationalize away what he said. I
was ready to dismiss his words as merely a product of his frustration
and tiredness. I felt myself start to get angry, and resentment was
quick to rise.

Then I took a deep breath and a step back. I pushed away the
frustration and tried to look objectively at the situation. Why had
his words hurt so much? Was it the delivery, or that his words rang
with truth, a truth I already knew and was in denial of accepting,
thereby striking a deeper chord?

I'm sure it was the latter. Being confronted with the truth is never
fun. But being confronted with a truth you already know, subsequently
being made to realize you're not fooling anyone, is particularly hard.
And when all of this is delivered by the one you love most... Well
let's just say, the truth hurts.

Nonetheless, I am grateful for my husband's words (though his delivery
could use a bit of polishing.) After all, if he can't speak the truth
to me, who can?!

Here's to brutal honesty.

Share

1 comments:

Diana said...
26 April, 2010 21:52

sending hugs.

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top my dyalog. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.