Small Town Fairs

This weekend, our small town had one of it's many annual street fairs, the newly renamed Outdoor Adventure Days, formerly known as Main Street Days. Truth be told, I like the old name better. Gave it a more small town feel.

The fair is held on the historic part of our town's Main Street, in the heart of downtown Grapevine. A perfect spot with it's old timey shop façades, small boutique shopping and mostly non-franchised dining choices. The streets are blocked off, the booths, mostly food, drink, and arts and crafts, are brightly lit to attract and lure the merry fair goers.

Despite an exhausting bout with allergies this week, I put on a happy face and joined my husband and some friends the first night, and family the second night. Despite the sneezing and stuffy head, I had a great time. There's something about carnival food, bright lights, and the peal of children laughing as they are spun into dizzy oblivion that just makes me feel better, no matter how much my sinuses try to rain on my parade.

We started our small town fair adventure with my husband snapping a rare shot of me without a camera in front of my face.



I quickly reclaimed my camera to shoot this delightful shot of our friend Steve and his precious daughter Sofia.


Sofia is quite the ham. Can you tell?




The art and craft booths had awesome things you could buy; this particular ensemble caught my eye. If I had a stick figure, I'd totally buy this. And wear it. Often. 



No street fair is complete without at least one Funnel Cake booth. In the case of our small town fairs, there's usually three or four.



Fair goers love their funnel cake.




One of the things I love about the street fairs in our small town is that the shops and restaurants all stay open later than usual, and the places are all lit up, which gives them a special charm.



Window shopping is especially fun - the windows all look fantastic. And I just love the little outfit on the right, hat and all.



The skirt on the right in this window? LOVE IT. WANT IT. Will need to lose 100 pounds to wear it.





And then there's the midway. No street fair is complete without it.



The only ride my stuffed head could manage was the Ferris Wheel, which afforded a lovely shot of the fair grounds from way on high.



This little girl caught my heart, her eyes big as saucers and probably terrified of the flying machine ride, but determined to ride nonetheless.


Our friends Steve and Sofia also felt the urge to fly.



After Steve and Sofia returned to terra firma, our other friend Rusty volunteered to take Sofia for a bumper car ride. 



Sofia eyed their next target with sheer glee.



The next day, we hit the fair again, but this time with family. My nephew, Hilton, shooting for a giant, stuffed basketball. He missed.



My husband, tongue between his lips, faired no better than Hilton.



Neither did Kim, my sister in law. Hmm. She had her tongue between her lips too. A family trait, maybe? 



And then there's this face. She wanted no part of shooting hoops. She had her mind set on bigger things.



There was the roller coaster. Fearless.



Yeah. Fearless. Until you get off looking like this.



Thank God that look isn't permanent.



Next on the ride agenda, Wipeout. Which is what Hilton looked like when the thing started moving backwards for him. We thought for sure Kevin and Heidi would be wearing his lunch.



He held it together. And looked like this when the ride was over. I think maybe he threw up in his mouth a little. Maybe.



Height check to make sure she could ride alone. "Look Ma', I'm SO tall!


Let's go fly!



"What's next?"



Tilt-A-Whirl. Uncle Kevin likes to make it spin!




Lean left. LEFT!!!











Now right! RIGHT!!



Tilt-A-Whirl twisty faces.



Uncle Kevin, always up for some fun with the kiddos.



Last ride of the night, the Sizzler. All is well as we start the ride.



Danger! Danger! Centrifugal force mashing me to the outer edge!



Must. Resist. Urge. To. Melt. Into. Centrifugal. Powers.



Will. Pull. My. Self. Back. To. Center.



I. Give. Up. The. Force. Wins.



Way more fun when you just LET GO!



Man! This thing moves.



Spinning is so relaxing.



And now the other way. WHEEEEEEE!



Staying safe on the ground, with stomach and heart intact. Love the in-laws!



The Palace Theatre presents another Variety Show. Maybe it's time to check this place out.



By the time we were ready for food, I was worn out. Fun summer nights, but man, I could do without the tree pollens! 

Here's to small town fairs and carnival food!

Share

1 comments:

Cheryl said...
23 May, 2010 16:13

Dyana...absolutely LOVED this blog. But it made me so lonesome for everyone in Grapevine, it wasn't funny! I really miss seeing you guys! I will visit for SURE next spring. I'll be retired by then. YIPPEE! I love Grapevine..such a neat little town. I laughed out loud of the pictures of Hilton on the centrifuge ride! Funny comments! I'll be watching for more of these!

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top my dyalog. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.